MATCHMAKER, MATCHMAKER FIND ME A JOB…
Job Search Tips.
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius
JOB SEARCH TIP
- Practice style
- Equipment at the practice
- Support staff
- I’m ready to go! Just give me a price and drug list, and I’ll be ready to work on my own from day one.
- I’m comfortable working alone, as long as I have someone to bounce cases off of, as well as a doctor onsite when I perform surgeries, at least for the first few months.
- I am uncomfortable working alone and would prefer to work alongside at least one other doctor. I would also prefer to have another doctor scrub in with me for my first several months.
- I’m not sure how I’m going to feel. I’d prefer to shadow another DVM for a while, then branch out as I feel comfortable.
- The practice has traditional (no CR/DR/digital) radiology. Radiographs are read onsite by the owner without Radiology review.
- Blood-work and IVCs are not required for anesthesia, nor do you see any being used for hospitalized patients.
- The practice has lots of bells and whistles. It also administers core and non-core vaccines annually.
- Anesthesia-free dentistry is advertised in the lobby.
- There are no licensed technicians on staff.
- I need to be within a 1-hour commute of my preferred location.
- I need to be within 8 hours of my preferred location.
- I am willing to relocate, provided I remain in my preferred kind of location (i.e. city, country, coast).
- Location is not important to me. I am willing to relocate anywhere within the country.
- Job description or list of duties and expectations
- Compensation – if you are on production what is included, what is exclded and compensation rates/percentages; if you are on pro-sal or similar, then the fine points of how salary/bonus is calculated
- Other benefits
- Term (length) of the contract and renewal option
- Have not read and understood in its entirety, or;
- Do not agree with and agree to be bound by the terms set forth in the contract.
WORKING WITH SUPPORT STAFF
- I have had extensive experience working with groups, in a position of authority.
- I have experience as a supporting team member, but limited experience in a position of authority.
- Why would this matter? The support staff are experienced, so they won’t need me to manage them.
- I’m worried about my ability to work with support staff. I’m afraid they’ll treat me like a newbie.
The job search experience can be uncomfortable and intimidating, but you aren’t alone.
Job hunting can be a stress filled experience, having a bomb-proof cover letter can help.
You will “dress to impress” for your job interview; likewise, your resume needs to look professional.
A practical guide to the mentoring relationship. Here we’ll be walking through some tips for developing successful mentoring relationships.
Everyone has a first day at work, and if this is your first mentoring experience you may be feeling similar jitters.
Relationships are always a two-way street. In order for your mentor to help you effectively, there are some things you’ll need to do.