Tune in as we chat with student debt expert Dr. Tony Bartels about the COVID-19 Student Loan Repayment Relief Ending and strategies for re-entering repayment
Since March 13, 2020, borrowers with federally held student loans have received student loan repayment relief. Interest rates have been set to zero percent, payments have been suspended, and for those using income-driven repayment or working towards Public Service Loan Forgiveness, the suspension time has counted towards qualifying forgiveness payments.
The current relief is now set to expire on January 31, 2020. Many receiving student loan repayment relief have been notified by the Department of Education and/or their loan servicers that repayment will be restarting in 2021. The entire student loan collection system was never intended to be turned off and on all at once, like a switch, so what can we expect this February 2021? Listen in to learn more.
In this episode we mention the following links and information:
- Federal Student Aid: https://studentaid.gov
- Federal Student Aid COVID FAQ: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus
- VIN Foundation COVID-19 Repayment Restart blog post: https://vinfoundation.org/covid-19-veterinary-student-loan-repayment-restart/
- VIN Foundation Repay Wiser Tools: https://vinfoundation.org/resources/repay-wiser-veterinary-school-debt-loan-repayment/
- VIN Foundation New Veterinary Graduate Student Loan Playbook: https://vinfoundation.org/resources/class-2020-veterinary-student-loan-playbook/
- VIN Foundation Student Debt Center: https://vinfoundation.org/studentdebtcenter
- VIN Foundation My Student Loans tool: http://www.vinfoundation.org/mystudentloans
- VIN Foundation WikiDebt: https://vinfoundation.org/wikidebt
- VIN Foundation Webinars: https://vinfoundation.org/resources/webinars/
- Email help from VIN Foundation: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like this podcast, we would appreciate it if you follow and share. As always, we welcome feedback. If you have an idea for a podcast episode, we’d love to hear it!